New Rockford Transcript - Official Newspaper of Eddy County since 1883

Articles written by K.c. Gardner Jr

Sorted by date  Results 1 - 25 of 145



History of New Rockford: April 26, 2021

About 8 p.m. Jan. 9, 1904, Charles Ducke, 26 and unmarried, went out of his farmhouse with a lantern to check on the livestock, leaving his aged mother in the house. When he did not return, his mother...

 

History of New Rockford: April 19, 2021

On Jan. 4, 1904, the New Rockford Schools reopened after the holidays. Lloyd Whiteman returned from Dickinson, where he had been two months visiting and helping in a drug store during the holidays....

 

History of New Rockford: April 12, 2021

The Jan. 1, 1904, “Transcript” [Vol. XXII, No. 18] mentioned the “Mouse River [Westhope] Standard,” the “Cooperstown Courier,” and the “Binford Times.” Major New Rockford businesses...

 

History of New Rockford: April 5, 2021

The Dec. 25, 1903, “Transcript” mentioned the “Portal International” newspaper. That issue carried some school notes: the Primary room students had been holding “secret communications...

 

History of New Rockford: March 29, 2021

On Dec. 19, 1903, County Superintendent of Schools, Grace B. Putnam, came from Grand Forks for the holidays with her husband; she returned on Dec. 26. Blanche and Irene Brownell arrived from...

 

History of New Rockford: March 22, 2021

On Dec. 14, 1903, E.M. Morris was in to visit his family. Peter Hallquist, from northwest of town, was in on business. George Norman came over from Denhoff for business and a visit. F.C. Davies was...

 

History of New Rockford: March 15, 2021

On Dec. 7, there was “a good fall of snow.” However, it wasn’t enough to provide good sleighing. The morning train brought in Charles Mann. He and his wife took the afternoon train to begin...

 

History of New Rockford: March 8, 2021

From Nov. 28 to Dec. 1, 1903, telephone manager William Brueske’s father, mother, and sister were up from Wimbledon to visit him and his family; his sister then remained a week or two longer. On...

 

History of New Rockford: March 1, 2021

Cases on the docket of the district court, beginning on Nov. 23, 1903, included the following: Northwestern Port Huron Co. vs. Justice; action on replevin [a lawsuit to get back property wrongfully...

 

History of New Rockford: February 15, 2021

On Nov. 7, 1903, John Welsh took three carloads of cattle to South St. Paul; he returned on Nov. 10. At noon on Sunday, Nov. 8, William Bryant Taylor and Mamie DeMoss, both of Perry, Iowa, were marrie...

 

History of New Rockford: February 8, 2021

On Nov. 2, 1903, George Treffry was in town. C.H. Ruland came in on business from Tiffany. Mr. and Mrs. E.E. Evans came in to shop. Charles O’Connell came over from Lakota to visit his parents....

 

History of New Rockford: February 1, 2021

The Oct. 30, 1903, “Transcript” said the school library had added volumes on American, English and Ancient History. George Hawthorn was back in school after an absence of four weeks. There had...

 

History of New Rockford: January 25, 2021

The Oct. 23, 1903, “Transcript” contained a letter from Sheyenne minister Rev. E.T. Quam describing his recent railroad trip through Minnesota, Iowa, Illinois and Wisconsin. An ad—“Trousers...

 

History of New Rockford: January 18, 2021

The Oct. 16, 1903, “Transcript” contained a lengthy background written by Rev. J.R. Beebe on establishing Phillips Academy in New Rockford. The Academy was named for Charles H. Phillips, who was b...

 

History of New Rockford: January 11, 2021

On Oct. 9-10 [postponed from 2 to 3], 1903, the FEW Tri-County Teachers’ Association met in Fessenden. Several teachers drove over for the meeting. Eddy County participants included a discussion of...

 

History of New Rockford: January 4, 2020

At 9 p.m. Oct. 2, 1903, the 15-man committee meeting at the Congregational Church selected the J.H. Hohl property west of town between Maxwell’s property and the city limits as the site for the new...

 

History of New Rockford: Dec. 28, 2020

On the morning of Sept. 28, 1903, a big dray team belonging to Bauer & Larkin ran away and bolted down Lamborn Avenue East; they lost most of their load of wood before they were stopped. Dexter Knolto...

 

History of New Rockford: Dec. 21, 2020

On Sept. 21, 1903, McHenry attorney W.O. Lowden was in New Rockford on legal business. Dick Bohmbach was in from northwest of town on business, as was Thomas Turner of Barlow, who came up with his...

 

History of New Rockford: Dec. 7, 2020

On Sept. 7, 1903, rain caused “a throng of farmers and threshermen” on the streets of New Rockford. John Von Almen and A.H. Crawford went to Elizabeth, Minnesota, to attend the wedding of one of...

 

History of New Rockford: Nov. 30, 2020

On Sept. 2, 1903, Mr. and Mrs. Thomas Lahart returned from the Twin Cities. Miss Ida Saunders came up to visit her cousin Miss Laura Reams. H.W. Clark and crew went to Barlow to begin building the...

 

History of New Rockford: Nov. 23, 2020

A letter from former resident C.E. Clure in the Aug. 28, 1903, “Transcript,” said he and his family had moved to Palouse, Wash., where he would run an implement business. Fourteen-year old Ernest...

 

History of New Rockford: Nov. 16, 2020

At 11 a.m. Sunday, Aug. 23, 1903, Rev. Dr. Swenson, president of Bethany College, preached in Swedish at the Greenfield Church, rural Sheyenne, followed by a dinner at the schoolhouse; at 3 p.m....

 

History of New Rockford: November 9, 2020

On August 18, 1903, William Cahill, having been found guilty of the murder of his brother, was taken to the State Penitentiary by Sheriff J.E. Bennett and George Nunn in Bismarck to begin his 10-year...

 

History of New Rockford: Nov. 2, 2020

On Aug. 13, 1903, John West hauled a new Garr Scott threshing rig to his farm in east Eddy County to replace the one that had burned the previous year. Mrs. C.C. Campbell and children returned from...

 

History of New Rockford: Oct. 26, 2020

The August 7, 1903, “Transcript” mentioned the “Bismarck Palladium” and the “Jamestown Alert.” A new ad: Hotel Davies, Davies & Buesing, props.; “Traveling Men’s Headquarters...

 

Page Down

Our Family of Publications Includes:

Powered by ROAR Online Publication Software from Lions Light Corporation
© Copyright 2020