New Rockford Transcript - Official Newspaper of Eddy County since 1883

Articles written by K.c. Gardner Jr.

Sorted by date  Results 1 - 25 of 137



History of New Rockford: April 19, 2021

On Jan. 4, 1904, the New Rockford Schools reopened after the holidays. Lloyd Whiteman returned from Dickinson, where he had been two months visiting and helping in a drug store during the holidays....

 

History of New Rockford: April 12, 2021

The Jan. 1, 1904, “Transcript” [Vol. XXII, No. 18] mentioned the “Mouse River [Westhope] Standard,” the “Cooperstown Courier,” and the “Binford Times.” Major New Rockford businesses...

 

History of New Rockford: March 29, 2021

On Dec. 19, 1903, County Superintendent of Schools, Grace B. Putnam, came from Grand Forks for the holidays with her husband; she returned on Dec. 26. Blanche and Irene Brownell arrived from...

 

History of New Rockford: March 22, 2021

On Dec. 14, 1903, E.M. Morris was in to visit his family. Peter Hallquist, from northwest of town, was in on business. George Norman came over from Denhoff for business and a visit. F.C. Davies was...

 

History of New Rockford: March 15, 2021

On Dec. 7, there was “a good fall of snow.” However, it wasn’t enough to provide good sleighing. The morning train brought in Charles Mann. He and his wife took the afternoon train to begin...

 

History of New Rockford: February 15, 2021

On Nov. 7, 1903, John Welsh took three carloads of cattle to South St. Paul; he returned on Nov. 10. At noon on Sunday, Nov. 8, William Bryant Taylor and Mamie DeMoss, both of Perry, Iowa, were marrie...

 

History of New Rockford: February 8, 2021

On Nov. 2, 1903, George Treffry was in town. C.H. Ruland came in on business from Tiffany. Mr. and Mrs. E.E. Evans came in to shop. Charles O’Connell came over from Lakota to visit his parents....

 

History of New Rockford: January 18, 2021

The Oct. 16, 1903, “Transcript” contained a lengthy background written by Rev. J.R. Beebe on establishing Phillips Academy in New Rockford. The Academy was named for Charles H. Phillips, who was b...

 

History of New Rockford: January 11, 2021

On Oct. 9-10 [postponed from 2 to 3], 1903, the FEW Tri-County Teachers’ Association met in Fessenden. Several teachers drove over for the meeting. Eddy County participants included a discussion of...

 

History of New Rockford: January 4, 2020

At 9 p.m. Oct. 2, 1903, the 15-man committee meeting at the Congregational Church selected the J.H. Hohl property west of town between Maxwell’s property and the city limits as the site for the new...

 

History of New Rockford: Dec. 28, 2020

On the morning of Sept. 28, 1903, a big dray team belonging to Bauer & Larkin ran away and bolted down Lamborn Avenue East; they lost most of their load of wood before they were stopped. Dexter Knolto...

 

History of New Rockford: Dec. 7, 2020

On Sept. 7, 1903, rain caused “a throng of farmers and threshermen” on the streets of New Rockford. John Von Almen and A.H. Crawford went to Elizabeth, Minnesota, to attend the wedding of one of...

 

History of New Rockford: Nov. 30, 2020

On Sept. 2, 1903, Mr. and Mrs. Thomas Lahart returned from the Twin Cities. Miss Ida Saunders came up to visit her cousin Miss Laura Reams. H.W. Clark and crew went to Barlow to begin building the...

 

History of New Rockford: Nov. 23, 2020

A letter from former resident C.E. Clure in the Aug. 28, 1903, “Transcript,” said he and his family had moved to Palouse, Wash., where he would run an implement business. Fourteen-year old Ernest...

 

History of New Rockford: November 9, 2020

On August 18, 1903, William Cahill, having been found guilty of the murder of his brother, was taken to the State Penitentiary by Sheriff J.E. Bennett and George Nunn in Bismarck to begin his 10-year...

 

History of New Rockford: Nov. 2, 2020

On Aug. 13, 1903, John West hauled a new Garr Scott threshing rig to his farm in east Eddy County to replace the one that had burned the previous year. Mrs. C.C. Campbell and children returned from...

 

History of New Rockford: Oct. 26, 2020

The August 7, 1903, “Transcript” mentioned the “Bismarck Palladium” and the “Jamestown Alert.” A new ad: Hotel Davies, Davies & Buesing, props.; “Traveling Men’s Headquarters...

 

History of New Rockford: Oct. 9, 2020

A notice in the July 31, 1903, “Transcript” from Swanson Bros. [John and Sam], the Cash Store: “We now make our bow to the purchasing public of New Rockford and Eddy county, and as an introducti...

 

History of New Rockford: Oct. 5, 2020

At noon on July 22, 1903, Knute O. Vick and Sigrid Rude were married at the home of Mr. and Mrs. H.K. Rude of Freeborn, the bride’s parents, by Rev. S.S. Wold of Bue in Nelson County. Attendants...

 

History of New Rockford: Sept. 28, 2020

On July 17, 1903, Walter Immel and Mr. and Mrs. George M. Pike and family returned from the Chautauqua, as did the younger members of the Treffry family. Joseph Maxwell went to the Chautauqua; he and...

 

History of New Rockford: Sept. 21, 2020

The July 10, 1903, “Transcript” carried an ad for Ulrich Sprecher: For sale at his farm 5 miles southwest of New Rockford until October 1— two mowers (one McCormick and one wood), one 6-foot hay...

 

History of New Rockford: Sept. 14, 2020

July 4, 1903, was chilly. There were New Rockford people at the Chautauqua Grove (J. Adam Bede was the orator; Mr. and Mrs. E.B. Thomson and family were there; they returned home the next day; Mr....

 

History of New Rockford: Sept. 7, 2020

On June 30, 1903, Mrs. A.W. Cady, who had been in New Rockford for two years, sold her millinery business to Mrs. G.K. Gullicks, who would move the stock to her residence south of the H. Peoples &...

 

History of New Rockford: August 31, 2020

On June 24, 1903, Mr. and Mrs. C.E. Leslie and son Myron of Carrington and Mrs. Emma F. Shields and son James of Glen Falls, N.Y., drove up from Carrington to visit Mr. and Mrs. James Hyde. Mrs....

 

History of New Rockford: August 24, 2020

On June 17, 1903, James B. Dafoe and George Nunn drove down from the Sheyenne country. Carrington cigar maker Dan Condlin/Condling was in town, looking up business. “Sheyenne Star” editor C.C....

 

Page Down

Our Family of Publications Includes:

Powered by ROAR Online Publication Software from Lions Light Corporation
© Copyright 2020