Official Newspaper of Eddy County since 1883

Articles written by K. C. Gardner Jr.


Sorted by date  Results 1 - 25 of 34

  • History of New Rockford: Jan. 8, 2024

    K. C. Gardner Jr.|Jan 8, 2024

    On Aug. 7, 1906, Rev. E.T. Quam came down from Sheyenne to visit and do some business. That evening Dr. W.W. Bartley of Sheyenne drove down in his auto. On Aug. 8, A.F. Schwenck was in from the Cathay area for harvest supplies. Miss Kittie Knox of eastern Eddy County, Mrs. W.G. Carter and her daughter, and Mrs. Thomas Adam were in shopping. Henry Garvin of Wells County, Sidney Hewes and C.A. Berge came in on business. J.W. Richter was down from Sheyenne on business and to visit. Lars Ostby was down from the Sheyenne Valley. Mrs. C.H. Culver cam...

  • History of New Rockford: Jan. 1, 2024

    K. C. Gardner Jr.|Jan 1, 2024

    On July 31, 1906, Mont Biggs left on a visit to St. Louis and other places in Missouri; he returned on Sept. 14. That night, someone entered the Hotel Davies and broke open the "two-bit" machine; however, he left without the money, possibly being scared off. On July 31 and Aug. 1, F.L. Kermott and Matt Mattson, both of Sheyenne, were down on business. On the morning of Aug. 1, Miss Julia Shirley drove to Carrington and took a Soo Line train to Minot to see her sister and other relatives. A.E....

  • History of New Rockford: Dec. 25, 2023

    K. C. Gardner Jr.|Dec 25, 2023

    The following businesses were closed from 1 to 5 p.m. on July 24 to 26, 1916, for the horse races: H. Peoples & Co., Rodenberg & Schwoebel, Prader & Baeder, E. Saad, J.M. Mulvey hardware, Frank Hays hardware, J.W. Rager harness shop, the Bank of New Rockford, the Farmers & Merchants Bank, O.E. Couch drugstore, Babcock & Bucklin drugstore, Clure Implement Co., and H. Peoples Implements. On July 24, the New Rockford Band played a concert from the bandstand at 9 a.m. A baseball game followed in which Carrington defeated New Rockford. There were...

  • History of New Rockford: Dec. 18, 2023

    K. C. Gardner Jr.|Dec 18, 2023

    On July 16 and 17, 1906, Pete Pelissier’s Wild West Show, featuring both male and female riders and “rope throwers,” was in New Rockford. On July 17, Miss Gertrude O’Connell went to Harvey to attend a sick person. Mrs. A.H. Crawford returned from her old home, Elizabeth, Minn., where she had been called by the death of her grandfather. That evening, around 15 young friends of Miss Ethel Churchill surprised her with a 19th birthday party at the home of her uncle and aunt, Dr. and Mrs. J.A. Carter; there were games and refreshments. At 8 p.m., R...

  • History of New Rockford: Dec. 11, 2023

    K. C. Gardner Jr.|Dec 11, 2023

    On July 7, 1906, John Medlicott brought a two-year old filly down from his ranch near Voltaire, N.D., and gave it to his brother-in-law E.R. Davidson; for a colt, the animal was surprisingly fast. Mrs. T.G. Kellington went to Valley City to visit friends. On July 7 and 8, B.W. Rantz was at the Chautauqua, where his wife had been since July 4. On Sunday, July 8, Dr. and Mrs. Hugo Neucamp of Fessenden and Mrs. Well of New York visited Mr. and Mrs. J.N. Kunkel. On July 9, eye glasses specialist C.G. Mugg of Grand Forks was at the Hotel Davies....

  • History of New Rockford: Nov. 27, 2023

    K. C. Gardner Jr.|Nov 27, 2023

    On June 23, 1906, a report showed the Early Settlers’ Association had $320.85 in its treasury. Miss Margaret Ford returned from the Valley City State Normal School, which she had been attending. Miss Eva Hawthorn returned from eastern Wells County, having completed her term as a teacher. Mrs. Frances Wilson of Sheyenne visited friends between trains. Erick Lindstrom went to Denhoff to make improvements on his homestead. Cement sidewalk contractor F.C. Davies went to Carrington on business. Miss Ethel Bauer returned to her home near Bowdon after...

  • History of New Rockford: September 18, 2023

    K. C. Gardner Jr.|Sep 18, 2023

    The April 6, 1906, “Transcript” stated that the Eddy County Board of Health (R.F. Rinker, president; W.C. Dresser, vice president; Dr. Charles MacLachlan, Supt.) had issued orders for the following: All manure, garbage, offal, or refuse near any dwelling, business, or water supply must be removed immediately. No such material, unless spread out and plowed under, could be within a half mile of any dwelling or public highway, or within a quarter mile of any water supply. Carcasses of domestic animals must be removed and buried at least four feet...

  • History of New Rockford: May 3, 2021

    K. C. Gardner Jr.|May 3, 2021

    On Jan. 20 and 21, 1904, J.R. Winslow was in Carrington on legal matters. On Jan. 21, H.J. Radtke arrived from Sparta, Wisconsin, to visit his brother W.E. Radtke and family. That evening, Imson & Edgar’s Ideals played in the Opera House. They also performed on the evenings of Jan. 22 and 23, as well as a 2 o’clock matinee on Jan. 23. That evening in Sheyenne, a large group of the members of the Sheyenne Lutheran Church and many other residents of that community gathered at the Baptist Church, and then under the leadership of T.N. Gil...

  • History of New Rockford: Oct. 12, 2020

    K. C. Gardner Jr.|Oct 12, 2020

    On July 25, 1903, a fawn-colored Jersey milch cow with a small white spot over her shoulders and branded “D.G.” on her forehead strayed from the reservation just north of the Viola Woodward farm. Contact David Geiger, Barlow. Carl Rude of eastern Eddy County and J.H. Lahart were in town. Miss Kate Henry came in on the northbound train to visit her parents northeast of town. Peter Hallquist, Will Carroll of Washington Lake, Sheyenne druggist F.L. Kermott, and George W. Johnston were in on business. C.S. Bosworth was in New Rockford; he had com...

  • History of New Rockford: Feb. 3, 2020

    K. C. Gardner Jr.|Feb 3, 2020

    On Jan. 1, 1903, hardware merchant H. Arveskaug went to Leeds for New Year’s and to spend a couple days with friends. The January 2, 1903. “Transcript” was Vol. XXI No. 18. C.J. Maddux was the publisher; A.C. Olsen was the editor and manager. That issue mentioned the “Devils Lake Inter-Ocean.” The “Transcript” was upset that New Rockford had “allowed a foreign telephone company” to set up in the town when local capital should have done it. The company “cares nothing for the town” except to make a profit. New Rockford needs an electric lig...

  • History of New Rockford: Oct. 28, 2019

    K. C. Gardner Jr.|Oct 28, 2019

    The Oct. 10, 1902, “New Rockford Transcript” stated that movement of grain to the east was hampered by a lack of locomotives; elevators all along the rail lines were filled to capacity with wheat. The past week had been ideal for flax threshing. John Anderson was painting the Hotel Brown and the Opera House. The long distance telephone crew had arrived and would start erecting poles and wires to connect New Rockford to the outside world. The central office would be in Babcock & Bucklin’s Drug Store “and the booth has already arrived...

  • History of New Rockford: Oct. 21, 2019

    K. C. Gardner Jr.|Oct 21, 2019

    The Oct. 3, 1902, “New Rockford Transcript” mentioned the “Sanborn Enterprise,” the “McHenry Tribune” owned by A.L. Lowden, and the “Michigan City Independent” owned by Mrs. Doherty. “WANTED—A girl 15 years of age to work for her board and go to school. Apply Mrs. Wm. Bucklin.” Mrs. P.J. Hester had for sale household goods and “a fine Astrachan jacket.” For sale by P.J. Hester: about 25 work horses, including four unbroken ones; one span of three-year-old colts; four brood mares with colts; about 20 three-year-old heifers; and around 10 sp...

  • History of New Rockford: Oct. 14, 2019

    K. C. Gardner Jr.|Oct 14, 2019

    The Sept. 26, 1902, “New Rockford Transcript” mentioned the “Minot Optic” and the “Denhoff Voice.” “Fresh milch cow wanted at once. W.G. Carter.” An ad—“D. Labhardt Shoemaking and Repairing shop opposite Manly’s Law Office.” Another ad:“East Side Bakery—fresh bread, pies and cakes.” P.C. Peterson of Barlow sold Kenmare coal, the best grades of soft coal and hard coal. An item said that S.J. Bell of Devils Lake was the manager of the Flax Belt circuit of opera houses which would bring traveling attractions to Mayville, Northwood, Larimore...

  • History of New Rockford: Oct. 7, 2019

    K. C. Gardner Jr.|Oct 7, 2019

    The Sept. 19, 1902, “New Rockford Transcript” stated that the previous week the “Cavalier County Republican” had started its 14th year of publication. The new Industrial School building was going up in Ellendale. A note said L.C. Oefstedahl of Sheyenne was a grain buyer for Charles Pake at Goodrich. R.R. Woodward had a farm team for sale, five and six years old, 2,200 lbs. Mrs. J.E. Bennett had two rooms for rent in a private dwelling. Mrs. Annie Hammer was putting an addition on her property on Villard Avenue West, just east of the Mattson...

  • History of New Rockford: Sept. 30, 2019

    K. C. Gardner Jr.|Sep 30, 2019

    On Sept. 13, 1902, Mrs. Florence Miller’s parents, Mr. and Mrs. James McGwine, arrived by train to visit; they had been on the Pacific Coast for two months. William Milne, Sr., was in town with some large crab apples grown on his farm in the Sheyenne Valley. J.R. Craig was in on business. Frank Graham came in from Tiffany. Mr. and Mrs. D.H. Keyton were in town. Mr. and Mrs. James Dafoe were down from the Sheyenne Valley to shop, as were Mr. and Mrs. Sylvanus Marriage from southeast of town. Eddie Monahan brought in a load of wheat that w...

  • History of New Rockford: Sept. 9, 2019

    K. C. Gardner Jr.|Sep 9, 2019

    The Aug. 29, 1902, “New Rockford Transcript” said that Jack Griffith had been hired as a night watchman. P.J. Hester had taken up one bay mare, about 900 lbs., with white front legs below the fetlocks and branded “HR” on its left hip. Wagonmaker R.U. Austin had loaned a buggy wheel to a man whose wheel was broken on July 4; the wheel was never returned and Mr. Austin wanted it back, no questions asked. For sale by J.R. Engberg of Barlow: one Buffalo Pitts engine and one Minneapolis Separator. Bids were being received until Sept. 15 for excavat...

  • History of New Rockford: Sept. 2, 2019

    K. C. Gardner Jr.|Sep 2, 2019

    On Aug. 21, 1902, James Hobbs was in on business from eastern Eddy County. Oscar Bauer returned from his trip “up the line”; he had resigned as the manager of the Monarch Elevator in order to buy grain on the Soo Line that fall. R.M. Kennedy replaced Bauer as manager on Aug. 25. Oscar Irwin left for his old home, Mayville, N.Y. Mrs. F.E. Diemer returned to Barnesville, Minn., after visiting her parents, the Stoddards. Recently a number of residents had purchased parrots and canaries; on that day a traveling salesman brought the birds to New...

  • History of New Rockford: July 29, 2019

    K. C. Gardner Jr.|Jul 29, 2019

    The July 25, 1902, edition of the “New Rockford Transcript” said sealed bids would be received until Aug. 9 for the erection of a pile bridge over the James River on the section line between 32 and 3, T148, R65 [Pleasant Prairie]. That issue had a Card of Thanks from John Weimals and family to friends and neighbors for their help during their “recent affliction.” Prader & Goss had just received a carload of Diamond, Valley Queen, and Belle flour. Elmer Dinnetz was selling “a good line of remedies.” Mrs. L.J. Brown had Point Lace Protection Coll...

  • History of New Rockford: June 24, 2019

    K. C. Gardner Jr.|Jun 24, 2019

    On the morning of June 26, 1902, excavation began for the J.M. Patch building. Thomas Everson and Louis Martinson [Lewis Mortensen?] were in town. F.G. Haver returned from his trip “up the line.” Guss Gullicks was down from Sheyenne. Chris Seibert of Germantown, Wells County, was in to pick up limber for a new large farmhouse. Mr. and Mrs. Martin Walsh and family left to visit his brother at Harvey; they returned on July 2. Mr. and Mrs. Robert Utecht and family left for her old home in Wisconsin due to the illness of her mother; they returned o...

  • History of New Rockford- Jan. 7, 2019

    K. C. Gardner Jr.|Jan 7, 2019

    On March 10 and 11, 1902, Henry Fritz was in from eastern Eddy County on business. On March 11, R.E. Waldo and John Anderson were over from McHenry. A.L. Spracher and George H. Fields came in from Tiffany. H.G. Lathrop, David Williams and M. Cler were in from eastern Eddy County. Alonzo Neutzel and Wells County farmer Jacob Roffler were in on business. I.W. Sheldon came in to shop. Vincent Lyness visited in town. George Williams came in from his farm east of Barlow. Dennis O’Connor returned from his winter in the East. William Walsh arrived to...

  • History of New Rockford: Nov. 12, 2018

    K. C. Gardner Jr.|Nov 12, 2018

    A note in the Jan. 24, 1902, “Transcript” said that earlier in January, James Turner Sr., had died in Corry, Pa., of heart trouble. He and his wife had visited in New Rockford a few years prior. He left a widow and eight children, including Thomas Turner and Miss Hattie Turner of New Rockford. A notice said that some animals had strayed from John Neutzel’s farm: one red muley bull and one red muley heifer, both with ropes around their necks; one black cow with a rope around her horns; two red calves; and one spotted calf. During the week,...

  • History of New Rockford: August 27, 2018

    K. C. Gardner Jr.|Aug 27, 2018

    At noon on Nov. 20, 1901, Alba E. Hersey and Annie M. Smoot were married by Rev. Samuel VanTassel at the home of Mr. and Mrs. C. H. Ruland in rural Tiffany. Hersey farmed near Tiffany and the couple would reside on the farm; his bride had recently arrived from Palmira, Mo. On Nov. 20, Mr. and Mrs. Charles Hoffman, John Dodds, and Ernest Angliss were in New Rockford. George Fields and William Cornish came in from Tiffany. Thomas Adam and James Renfrew were in on business. Peter Butler of eastern Wells County was in town. Rev. C.H. Phillips of...

  • History of New Rockford - May 28, 2018

    K. C. Gardner Jr.|May 28, 2018

    On the afternoon of September 7, 1901, L.H. Olmstead and Charles Bellis, the president and the secretary of the North Dakota Harvest Association of Dowagiac, Mich., stopped at the “Transcript” office. They and about twenty other young men from Michigan were headed to the Antelope Valley near Oberon to help with the harvest. Their outfit included a cook and sleeping car, a 36-64 Case separator, and a 25 horse power traction engine, all of which had been shipped from Edgeley to Oberon. The group, which included many professional men and arc...

  • History of New Rockford - May 21, 2018

    K. C. Gardner Jr.|May 21, 2018

    On Sunday, September 1, 1901, H.G. Lathrop came in from eastern Eddy County. Prairie chicken season opened that day, although North Dakota law forbade hunting on Sunday. The birds were very plentiful and more ducks were seen than there had been for several years. If the chickens were in a field of grain, they were almost impossible to flush. That afternoon Dr. MacLachlan, F.C. Davies, J.M. Mulvey and E. Severtson drove out to eastern Eddy County and returned the next day with 85 birds. That evening B.W. Rantz, H.C. Johnson, Fred Haver and...

  • History of New Rockford - May 14, 2018

    K. C. Gardner Jr.|May 14, 2018

    On August 26 and 27, 1901, John Mantz and his two daughters were in town. On August 26 to 28, Ben Larkin was in from his ranch south of Bowdon. On the morning of August 27, the Russell-Miller Elevator at Jamestown was struck by lightning and totally destroyed by fire; there were plans to build a larger structure. Dick Bohmbach came in from his farm northwest of town with the first load of 1901 wheat, which was close to thirty bushels per acre and graded No. 1 Northern; he had started harvesting the day before. George B. Mansfield and W.H....

Page Down

Rendered 06/12/2024 21:24