New Rockford Transcript - Official Newspaper of Eddy County since 1883

History of New Rockford: Sept. 9, 2019

 

September 9, 2019



The Aug. 29, 1902, “New Rockford Transcript” said that Jack Griffith had been hired as a night watchman.

P.J. Hester had taken up one bay mare, about 900 lbs., with white front legs below the fetlocks and branded “HR” on its left hip. Wagonmaker R.U. Austin had loaned a buggy wheel to a man whose wheel was broken on July 4; the wheel was never returned and Mr. Austin wanted it back, no questions asked. For sale by J.R. Engberg of Barlow: one Buffalo Pitts engine and one Minneapolis Separator.

Bids were being received until Sept. 15 for excavating, material and stonework for the Congregational Church in Barlow.

For rent: the two-story residence of Mr. and Mrs. James T. Wiltsie, corner of Stimson and New Haven, 10 well-finished rooms on first floor, good cistern and cellar. Inquire Mrs. James Wiltsie.

George Hickey had sold his Tiffany farm to Martin Walsh and was going to return to New York state after many years in Eddy County. The previous week, S.T. Hewes purchased the O.O. Irwin farm north of Tiffany at $7,000 for three quarter sections.

A notice said that James W. Lahart of Jamestown and Thomas E. and John F. Lahart of Minneapolis had incorporated their two companies as the Sutherland Elevator Company of Minnesota; each company had $100,000 in capital stock. James MacLachlan was the new manager of the Lahart (Sutherland) Elevator in New Rockford.

J.W. Rager had put in a sidewalk from his harness shop to John Wenz’s shoe store at the corner of Villard and Dakota [probably from just west of today’s Latte Lobby on Central Avenue to the corner].

Mrs. Kate B. Stedman of Cleveland, Ohio, was visiting Mr. and Mrs. A.M. Greely. She had been an early resident of the county, arriving in 1883 along with the Greely and Rollins families, Thomas Curtis and Mrs. A.J. Allen. Mr. Stedman had died on their claim three miles north of New Rockford. Their three daughters were all dead, but their two sons were alive: Charles was a contractor/builder in Cleveland, and O.B. “Bert” Stedman lived in Sheyenne.

On Aug. 29, John Haley, John Kurtz and Burrell A. Daniels were in from Tiffany for harvest supplies. S.P. Pisel came in on business. J.D. Carroll was in town. Mr. and Mrs. G.B. Hall were in shopping. Peter Shannon visited the “Transcript.” Mrs. George Botham of Chicago arrived to visit her sister Mrs. J.A. Manly and family. Former resident Mrs. Eva Neasmith arrived from Bellevue, Mich., to visit. Mrs. Laura Eisenhuth came up from Carrington to visit her uncle Nathan Flater and his family. E.M. Myra left on a 16-day trip to the Twin Cities and Duluth. Col. and Mrs. D.F. Ellsworth left for the Twin Cities and the Minnesota State Fair; Mrs. Ellsworth would then go on to visit their daughter in Michigan. Mr. Ellsworth returned to New Rockford on Sept. 9. Mrs. John M. Mulvey and Mrs. J.C. Smith drove to McHenry; Mrs. Mulvey also visited friends in eastern Eddy County. Mrs. W.O. Baird left for Springfield, Ill., due to the serious illness of her father, who took a turn for the better after her arrival. At 6 p.m. the Ladies’ Social Union of the Congregational Church served a supper in Brown’s Hall for 25 cents. That evening there was a box social in the Tiffany School with proceeds to go to the minister’s salary. Also that evening there was a surprise party for Ray Hester, hosted by around 30 of his friends, with games, music, and “elegant refreshments.” That evening Fred Dutee and John T. West were in from eastern Eddy County.

On Sunday, Aug. 31, Hotel Mattson clerk Andrew Johnson, Jr., went out to his farm. Blacksmith Nathan Flater visited friends and relatives in Carrington.

On the morning of Sept. 1, Mrs. William Farley, 44, died at the home of her sister Mrs. J.T. Shauers in eastern Eddy County from diabetes from which she had suffered for many years, but she had taken a turn for the worse on Aug. 28. She was born in Pennsylvania on July 11, 1858. In 1883 she married William Farley and they moved to Eddy County. Her funeral was on the afternoon of Sept. 2, Rev. J.R. Beebe, with burial in the Knox Presbyterian Cemetery. [There are no records of any Farleys being buried in Eddy County.]

That morning a 10 lb. daughter was born to Mr. and Mrs. William Bucklin.

That day A.C. Jones, Charles Lyman, H.A. Berge and George Ellis went southeast of town on a hunting trip. They shot over 40 prairie chickens and ended up at the Mr. and Mrs. James Hackney farm around suppertime. Mrs. Hackney prepared 21 of the birds for their meal.

That day Rev. J. Noordeweir, who had charge of the Tiffany and Morris congregations during the summer, left to resume his college studies in Princeton, NJ. That evening Miller’s Projecting Company, using a 1902 model projector which was free from the flicker of earlier machines, showed films of the eruption of Mt. Pelée on the island of Martinique and the destruction of the city of St. Pierre, the Jeffries-Fitzsimmons boxing match in San Francisco, the Gans-McGovern match in Chicago, and 4,000 feet of moving pictures, comic films, and illustrated songs, at the Hotel Davies. [This was the fourth mention of “moving pictures” in New Rockford in 1902.] At 8 p.m. Rev. D.H. Clarkson held Episcopal services in the Baptist Church.

On Sept. 2, Mr. and Mrs. A.C. Buck and family moved into their new residence on Lamborn Avenue West. Hans E. Anderson brought four fat cattle in to market. George VanHeesch went to St. Paul to enter a hospital for treatment of his persistent rheumatism. Prof. and Mrs. J. Newton Moore went to Cando and Rugby to organize classes in vocal music; Moore was planning on conducting music classes in New Rockford during the coming winter. That evening there was a farewell party for Ray Hester at the home of Mr. and Mrs. G.W. Brownell; “a large number of his young friends” were guests.

On Sept. 3, Mrs. J.A. Wren was in shopping. George Fields and Frank Graham were in from Tiffany on business, as were Peter P. Hallquist from the Sheyenne Valley and Gus Larson from northwest of town. J.W. Young came in from his farm east of Tiffany; he thought his somewhat frosted crop would still have a good yield. Peter Butler came in from his farm west of town. Louis Oefstedahl was down from Sheyenne. Ray Hester left for Oregon to attend Columbian University [there is at present no university in Oregon with that name; it may have been the forerunner of the University of Portland]. Mrs. E.A. Gamble returned from a visit with her grandson E.G. Allison in Jamestown. R.P. Allison was in Esmond on legal business; he returned on Sept. 6. Mrs. F.G. Haver visited her parents in Oberon between trains. Mr. and Mrs. R.R. Woodward and Mrs. H.J. Mitchell left for the Minnesota State Fair; Mrs. Mitchell returned on Sept. 8. A telegram informed Mrs. E.S. Severtson of the severe illness of her grandfather in Minneapolis; she left for that city in the afternoon. That afternoon two traveling musicians with a violin and a harp got off the train and entertained residents with an open-air concert; in the evening they were hired to play at a dance in the Hotel Davies to benefit the Employees’ Association. That night a heavy frost hit the late flax hard, but the damage was scattered.

 
 

Our Family of Publications Includes:

Powered by ROAR Online Publication Software from Lions Light Corporation
© Copyright 2019

Rendered 09/11/2019 16:15