New Rockford Transcript - Official Newspaper of Eddy County since 1883

History of New Rockford: Dec. 14, 2020

 

December 14, 2020



On Sunday, Sept. 13, 1903, three heifer calves, one bull calf and two steer calves strayed from the H.P. Halverson farm 8 miles west of Sheyenne. A short item stated that on that day Will Morris’ red cow “died,” but after several hours Fred Uetz brought her back to life. At 7 p.m. the Epworth League met; Miss Eddys Cole was the president.

On Sept. 14, the New Rockford schools opened with the following staff: Robert T. Muir of Reynolds, principal, in his first year; Miss May H. Young, Taber, Ill., assistant principal; Miss Carolyn Trainor, Intermediate; Miss Olive Saunders, Oberon, 2nd Primary; Miss Lucy Slocum, Grand Forks, 1st Primary. Principal Muir had informed the community that on that day all students would have to come to school with their promotion cards, diplomas, or standings or be prepared to take an examination.

That day, Harold K. Righter of Jamestown began teaching in the Foster district. M.F. Kepner returned from his business trip to Fessenden. J.D. Carroll was in town. Fred Pietszch came in on business. Mr. and Mrs. C.C. Campbell returned from visiting his brother at Monango, N.D.; they also toured the State Manual Training School at Ellendale. Ray Hester of Carrington was about to return to Portland, Ore., for another term of college. Master Lawrence Buck left for Lake City, Minn., where he would attend school. Mrs. Ben Fay went to her old home in Winona, Minn.; she returned on Oct. 20. Mrs. Valentine Fertig and baby left on the train for her old home, Arcadia, Wisc., to visit relatives and friends; they returned on Oct. 20. Pat Walsh went to Tiffany to harvest his flax.

From Sept. 14 to 16, Dobson Reames of McHenry was in New Rockford.

On Sept. 15, Marsh Chamberlain returned from Illinois. Ole Johnson was in from Plainview. O.E. Nash came in on business. Jay Mulvey left for college in Portland, Ore. That afternoon Martin Hause of Wells County and Jennie Kristanson were married by Judge W.C. Beardsley. That night P.H. West resumed his duties as city marshal and night watchman; Sheriff J.E. Bennett also made him a deputy sheriff.

On Sept. 16, Burrill A. Daniels was in on business, as were O.T. Myer of eastern Eddy County, William Steinbach, M. Mattson, Jr., and Jacob Roffler. Martin Walsh of Tiffany and Mrs. James Hackney were in town. Mrs. Will Morris and Mr. and Mrs. Stephen Walsh were in shopping. Samuel Studebaker of Pearl City, Mich., arrived to visit his son Bert Studebaker and family.

On Sept. 17, the Rush Tailoring Company’s expert tailor was at the H. Peoples & Co. store to display a full line of woolens and to take measurements. H.P. Halverson was down from the Sheyenne Valley on business. Mrs. VanDorn Gilchrist returned from a visit with her brother William Price in Jamestown. Mrs. Kate Sampson went to Edmunds and Pingree with a fine fall line of millinery. That evening a large covey of prairie chickens flew into New Rockford. Two or three lost their way and became stranded among the buildings. One flew into the rear of J.M. Mulvey’s hardware, and Mulvey caught it in a corner; it was uninjured.

The previous spring Clyde Gillett, James McIver, and Bernt Borgerson, all of Freeborn, had gone to Canada to look for land. On Sept. 17 Borgerson died from diphtheria and the other two were quarantined. Bernt Borgerson was 18, had come to the Freeborn area in 1899, and left as survivors his father, mother, and several brothers and sisters.

The Sept. 18, 1903, “Transcript” mentioned the “Bowbells Bulletin,” “St. Thomas Times,” “Wells County News,” “Esmond Bee,” “Courtenay Gazette,” “Ward County Reporter,” “Griggs County Sentinel,” “Carrington Record” “and “Emmons County Republican.”

For sale by C.J. Maddux—two nickel-plated Art Garland self-feed hard coal stoves.

W.C. Dresser had been ill several days with a sore throat.

The Noxon Bros. of Valley City were putting a hot water plant (steam boiler) in the Mr. and Mrs. C.J. Maddux residence. Charles Onstott’s “neat cottage” on the east side was completed. J.W. Perry had set up a bill collection agency in Esmond. H.C. Tarbell was thinking of starting a laundry at McHenry.

Recently every evening from 7 to 9, “a fierce gang of cinch players” had been gathering in the Hotel Mattson’s lobby; they were J.M. Patch, P.J. Braman, J.W. Rager, G.J. Schwoebel, Donald Niven, and J.H. Hohl. [Cinch is a card game; it is also known as Double Pedro or High Five.] During the week attorney R.P. Allison was in Esmond. John Goss spent several days on his large farm. H. Peoples was in Carrington. F.W. House sold the bowling alley to shoemaker D. Labhardt; House would turn his full attention to his watch repairing business. Ose Hardware was putting hot water heating plants into Dr. Charles MacLachlan’s west side house. The large engine was being installed in the three-story Kellington & McDonell flour mill.

The previous week Pat Harrington arrived from Wisconsin to run Pat O’Connor’s threshing machine.

On Sept. 18, the sunshine helped dry the cut wheat and flax. Bank cashier S.G. Severtson and James B. Dafoe of Sheyenne were in New Rockford on business.

On Sept. 18 and 19, H.M. Clark was in Jamestown for a meeting of the Alliance Hail Association.

On Sept. 19, the Methodist Ladies Aid sold home-baked goods at Mrs. M.F. Kepner’s confectionary. National Bank Examiner W.A. Gordon of Grand Forks found the books of the 1stNational Bank “in 1st class condition.” Prof. J. Newton Moore returned from Iowa and the Twin Cities and resumed teaching vocal and instrumental music on Sept. 21. Rev. Taylor, Mrs. Frederick Skidmore, and her sister Mrs. Charles Mann were all in from Tiffany. George Fields of Tiffany and H.G. Lathrop came in on business. Mr. and Mrs. J.D. Dailey and Mr. and Mrs. Mark Hulbert were in shopping. J.M. Patch went to Minneapolis on business. At 8:30 p.m. Hannah Schaefer, 64, died after a week’s illness from a brain hemorrhage. She had moved to Tiffany from Sherman, N.Y., about 18 months prior, to live with her son John Schaefer.

From the afternoon of Sept. 19 to the morning of Sept. 21, G.A. Erickson, Charles Lyman, Ernest Ohrner, and Doran Pettit were hunting at Washington Lake, where they shot 60 waterfowl, including three Canadian geese, the first of the season.

On Sept. 19 and 20, J.W. Perry was down from Esmond. On Sept. 19 to 21, Mrs. H.J. Mitchell and son Harlan were in Fargo. From Sept. 19 to Sept. 22, bank cashier E.S. Severtson was in Minneapolis on business.

On Sunday, Sept. 20, former resident Len Willis visited in New Rockford.

On Sept. 20 to 21, Mr. and Mrs. Frank Woodward visited her parents Mr. and Mrs. George Johnston and then returned to Maddock.

 
 

Our Family of Publications Includes:

New Rockford 260x100
Foster County News 260x100
Turtle Mountain Guide
Lake Region Guide

Powered by ROAR Online Publication Software from Lions Light Corporation
© Copyright 2022

Rendered 12/25/2022 23:56