Official Newspaper of Eddy County since 1883

Articles written by K.c. Gardner


Sorted by date  Results 1 - 25 of 302

  • History of New Rockford: June 17, 2024

    K.C. Gardner Jr.|Jun 17, 2024

    From January 1 to the evening of Jan. 3, 1907, the area was blanketed by the heaviest snow storm in some years. The railroad tracks were blocked until the rotary plow came through on the morning of January 4. Many New Rockford-bound passengers were stranded when trains were stopped in Sheyenne and Carrington; the railroad put them up in hotels. On January 3, Louis Oefstedahl and George Norman came down from Sheyenne on skis; it was Norman’s first experience with skis and probably his last. On t...

  • History of New Rockford: June 10, 2024

    K.C. Gardner Jr.|Jun 10, 2024

    On Dec. 24, 1906, Miss Monica O’Connell visited in Barlow between trains; her sister Miss Gertrude O’Connell accompanied her back to New Rockford. Daniel O’Connell arrived for Christmas with his parents; he returned to Minneapolis on January 4. Mr. and Mrs. H.W. Wilson and family went to Wimbledon for Christmas with her family; Mr. Wilson returned on December 26, but his wife and children remained for a few days. Mr. and Mrs. Orrin Foster left for a visit in Minneapolis. Dr. G.D. Murphy left...

  • History of New Rockford: June 3, 2024

    K.C. Gardner Jr.|Jun 3, 2024

    The Dec. 14, 1906, “Transcript” said that C.J. Parker of Kennedy, N.Y., had visited with C.W. Hall and family the previous week. H.G. Hudson had opened a temporary branch of his confectionary business in the post office lobby to help handle his Christmas trade. Miss Gertrude Buck was assisting in the confectionary. On the morning of December 14, Perry Blomquist and Emma Anderson were married in the Congregational parsonage by Rev. J.R. Beebe with only relatives as guests. They would live on thei...

  • History of New Rockford: May 27, 2024

    K.C. Gardner Jr.|May 27, 2024

    On Dec. 10, 1906, a daughter was born to Mr. and Mrs. Henry Hammer. Mr. and Mrs. W.J. Morris came in from their farm southeast of town to shop and say goodbye to Mrs. Morris’ sisters and their families, who had been visiting and were leaving for their home in Washington. Miss Queenie Stiles, who had been visiting the Morrises for some time, left with her mother and would stay in Washington for the winter. [Jay?] Blakely was up from Carrington and was able to rent a house for the winter. Fred Z...

  • History of New Rockford: May 20, 2024

    K.C. Gardner Jr.|May 20, 2024

    On Dec. 5, 1906, after selling his interest in the New Rockford Roller Mills to his partner T.G. Kellington, G.W. McDonell left for Valley City, where he and his wife would remain for a while before leaving for their future home, California. Mrs. McDonell’s poor health was the reason for their leaving. Mr. and Mrs. D.W. Fowler and family left for a winter at their former Ontario home; they planned on stopping in New Rockford in the spring when they would be moving to their new home in Idaho. O...

  • History of New Rockford: May 13, 2024

    K.C. Gardner Jr.|May 13, 2024

    On Nov. 29, 1906, Thanksgiving, Mr. and Mrs. Clyde Newport left for his old home in Missouri and would remain there until the spring. That evening, “Romeo and Juliet” was presented in the Opera House. The play company had given free tickets to high school students in a competitive essay contest based on the play: three to the 1st place winner, Jennie Hersey (it was printed in the December 14 “Transcript”); two to second place, Eva Wakelie; and one to third place, Roger Mattson. Also that ev...

  • History of New Rockford: May 6, 2024

    K.C. Gardner Jr.|May 6, 2024

    In “School Notes” in the Nov. 23, 1906, “Transcript” there were 25 students enrolled at NRHS; several high school students were writing competitive essays on Shakespeare’s “Romeo and Juliet”; the eighth graders were using Mace’s United States History textbook; the Chemistry class had finished their study of air; on November 21, Mrs. E.S. Severtson and Miss Gertrude Buck visited the Primary room; Leo Snook of Tiffany had joined the sixth grade. On November 23, James G. Dailey, O.G. Cooling, a...

  • History of New Rockford: April 29, 2024

    K.C. Gardner Jr.|Apr 29, 2024

    On Nov. 16, 1906, attorney C.J. Maddux was in northern Indiana, trying an insurance case in federal court. Mr. and Mrs. George Fletcher arrived from Jamestown to live on the W.G. Carter farm northeast of town; she was the sister of Mrs. D.H. Fowler. From November 17 to the night of Sunday, Nov. 18, a “baby blizzard” struck the area. On November 19, Miss Georgia Hersey began work in the Oberon telephone office as a “hello” girl; M.H. Oliver was the manager. Mr. and Mrs. Frank Hays and baby re...

  • History of New Rockford: April 22, 2024

    K.C. Gardner Jr.|Apr 22, 2024

    Reports on Nov. 12, 1906, showed the following: The First National Bank of New Rockford, James E. Hyde, cashier, resources (assets) of $88,995.31, up $4511.13 from the $84,484.01 of September 4. Checking accounts were $18,874.31, up $5743.55 from the $13,130.76 of September 4. The Bank of New Rockford, Assistant Cashier P.J. Braman, resources (assets) of $209,787.85, up $1652.69 from the $208,135.16 of September 4. Checking accounts amounted to $97,227.26, up $13,699.65 from the $83,527.61 of...

  • History of New Rockford: April 15, 2024

    K.C. Gardner Jr.|Apr 15, 2024

    More county results in the Nov. 6, 1906, election: Commissioner, 3rd Dist.: James B. Dafoe, Rep., 142; William G. Milne, Dem., 95; Justices of the Peace: J.J. Anderson, Rep., 508; J.R. Beebe, Rep., 484; J.A. McCrum, Rep., 490; O.O. Wolden, Rep., 488; Constables: Ole Hegna, Rep., 474; J.V.N. Sundberg, Rep., 482; Fred Topp, Rep., 472; Monroe Wilder, Rep., 465. At noon, November 6, a street parade announced the comedy “A Run-away Tramp.” At 8 p.m. Rev. E.W. Burleson held Episcopal services in the...

  • History of New Rockford: April 8, 2024

    K.C. Gardner Jr.|Apr 8, 2024

    On Nov. 1, 1906, E.C. Cooper of Grand Forks was in town adjusting the fire losses in the First National Bank. Miss Mary Cain was up from Carrington to visit. That evening, the Congregational Choir hosted a social in the church with a program and a Dutch lunch. The Nov. 2, 1906, “Transcript” reported that Sheriff George F. Fahrer had collected over $3000 in delinquent personal property taxes over the previous 30 days. There were notices from each of the candidates for County Register of Dee...

  • History of New Rockford: April 1, 2024

    K.C. Gardner Jr.|Apr 1, 2024

    The Oct. 26, 1906, “Transcript” stated the following books had been added to the school library: a five-volume History of England by J.F. Bright; a three-volume Student’s History of England by S.R. Gardiner; Selections from the Sources of English History by Colby; Rise of the Constitutional Government of England by Ransome; Pros and Cons by Craig; Holiday Songs by Emilie Poulson; A Child’s Garden of Verses by Robert Louis Stevenson; The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne; Bay Path by Holland...

  • History of New Rockford: March 25, 2024

    K.C. Gardner Jr.|Mar 25, 2024

    On Oct. 19, 1906, Dr. Fred A. Douglas, who had worked as a partner of Dr. Charles MacLachlan since around July 1, left to start a practice in a new location. Jacob Kebler departed for a winter in Old Mexico. Mrs. E.S. Severtson left for a visit to her old home, Shakopee, and other Minnesota places. On October 20, Harry Burt came over from Fessenden, where he was employed, to visit; he returned the next day. James Davidson left for Orting, Wash., where he and his family would live after 20 years...

  • History of New Rockford: March 18, 2024

    K.C. Gardner Jr.|Mar 18, 2024

    The Oct. 12, 1906, “Transcript” stated that threshing crews were leaving as fast as circumstances and the railroads would allow; the paper said it was the earliest departure at any time. News from the Morris area: Rev. Kristoff had gone to Pennsylvania for the winter; Fred Dutee was still threshing with his Buffalo Pitts machines; Joe Dutee and several other farmers were doing fall plowing. On October 12, G.A. Krueger of Freeborn and A.O. Krider, who farmed northeast of New Rockford just acr...

  • History of New Rockford: March 11, 2024

    K.C. Gardner Jr.|Mar 11, 2024

    On October 5, 1906, F.A. Rising, vice president of the First National Bank, was in town on banking business. A telegram that day informed J.B. Somers of the death by drowning of one of his sons at Tagus, N.D. That evening, a son was born to Mr. and Mrs. John Anderson. That evening, a dance was held; Messrs. Theo Quam, Nels Mattson, Edward A. Faust and John Hultberg and Misses Jet Richter and McFarland, all of Sheyenne attended, as did Dr. Charles McNamara and Frank Fahrer, both of Barlow. On...

  • History of New Rockford: March 4, 2024

    K.C. Gardner Jr.|Mar 4, 2024

    The Sept. 28, 1906, “Transcript” stated that Mr. and Mrs. P.H. West and family had moved into their new home on Lamborn Avenue East. The Consolidated Elevator, managed by J.C. Smith, was planning on a 40,000 bushel addition. Miss Edna Lloyd was a student at Phillips Academy. On September 28, Mr. and Mrs. J.B. Stout came in from Granville, N.D., where they had been looking over some land; they owned land at Tiffany, next to the William Cornish farm, and were planning on living there in the spring...

  • History of New Rockford: Feb. 26, 2024

    K.C. Gardner Jr.|Feb 26, 2024

    On Sept. 21, 1906, S.O. Lee came in from his farm southeast of town; he had finished threshing his wheat (17 bushels per acre; #1 Northern) and oats (50 bushels per acre; 44 lbs. per bushel). C.E. Blackwell, the manager of the Gull River Lumber Company’s yards, inspected the local yard managed by Ray Erwin and found it in fine shape. On Sept. 22, the “Gander,” a large hunting wagon, made its initial trip to eastern Eddy County with hunters J.A. McAuley, M.R. Fritz, Dr. G.D. Murphy, and C.J....

  • History of New Rockford: Feb. 19, 2024

    K.C. Gardner Jr.|Feb 19, 2024

    The Sept. 14, 1906, “Transcript” said the fixtures for the Farmers & Merchants Bank had arrived and were being installed. Mrs. P.J. Butler had all her household goods, a buggy and a set of single driving harness for sale. Assistant Principal Miss Lillian Lund had lost her watch and was hoping for its return. Due to the heavy freight business, an extra locomotive had been stationed in New Rockford to do switching and yard work and to haul some freight cars to Carrington. Also, because of the heav...

  • History of New Rockford: Feb. 12, 2024

    K.C. Gardner Jr.|Feb 12, 2024

    The Sept. 7, 1906, “Transcript” stated that the previous week Miss Hattie Harrison had come in from Marlette, Mich., to see her sister Mrs. Nathan Stanton and family. Also Miss Anna Haskell had arrived from Illinois to act as the stenographer and bookkeeper for Streeter & Cooling. On the morning of Sept. 7, Miss Mabel Sheehy began work as a saleslady in the dry goods department of H. Peoples & Co. Andrew Johnson, Sr., brought in two loads of wheat that was rated No. 1 Hard and weighed 60 lbs. to...

  • History of New Rockford: Feb. 5, 2024

    K.C. Gardner Jr|Feb 5, 2024

    The hunting season began on Sept. 1, 1906; 44 local hunters had gotten their licenses. On that day, James E. Renfrew came in on business. Mr. and Mrs. Silas Hylton went to St. Paul, where Mrs. Hylton would consult an eye specialist; they returned on Sept. 8, encouraged by a prognosis for a complete recovery. Sheriff George F. Fahrer and William Farley left for the Minnesota State Fair, which Mr. Hylton would also attend. Mr. and Mrs. William Milne, Jr., of Sheyenne left for the Minnesota State...

  • History of New Rockford: January 29, 2024

    K.C. Gardner Jr|Jan 29, 2024

    On Aug. 25, 1906, the founder of “The Transcript,” Joseph W. Hays, was in for a short visit; it was the first time he had been in New Rockford since he left in 1886. On Sunday, Aug. 26, Phillips Academy principal L.J. Aldrich preached in Harvey; he returned on Aug. 28. On Aug. 27, James Lahart came up from Jamestown to look after business interests. State Scale Inspector D.B. Wellman was in town greeting friends. Miss Gertrude O’Connell returned from Minneapolis. Lumberman Matt Fritz’s father...

  • History of New Rockford: Jan. 22, 2024

    K.C. Gardner Jr|Jan 22, 2024

    The August 17, 1906, “Transcript” stated that contractor E.P. Cosgrove and his crew were almost done with the construction of an 18x30 farmhouse with 14-foot posts for Fred Nieman southwest of town. C.A. Berge was hauling loads of lumber for a “mammoth granary” he was building on his farm. Mrs. M. DeHart of Pipestone, Minn., was visiting her sister Mrs. William Salmonson of Morris. Frank Kermott of Sheyenne was in New Rockford all week on business. Mr. McIver had moved his family from Morris...

  • History of New Rockford: Jan. 15, 2024

    K.C. Gardner Jr.|Jan 15, 2024

    On Aug. 11, 1906, Mrs. H.R. Campbell went to Minneapolis to order her fall stock of millinery; she would be assisted in her shop by Miss Vera Keime; she returned on Aug. 25. From Aug. 11 to 15, Miss Josephine O’Connell, who was teaching at Sykeston, came in to visit relatives; she was accompanied by another young lady from Sykeston, Miss Margaret Murphy. On those days, Mrs. S.F. Beer visited her daughter, Miss Dora, at Valley City. On Sunday, Aug. 12, Mr. and Mrs. J.D. Carroll were in Morris. O...

  • History of New Rockford: Dec. 4, 2023

    K.C. Gardner Jr.|Dec 4, 2023

    On June 30, 1906, Mr. and Mrs. W.E. Radtke returned from Fargo, where they had attended the Grand Lodge meetings of the Masons and the Eastern Star. Fred Von Almen went to his old home in Minnesota, called there by the death of his grandmother. Barber W.T. Buck left for a visit to his old home at Adel, Iowa; he returned on July 20. “While driving thru a door,” Mose Reams was “squeezed” and received a broken rib. From June 30 to July 5, Anton Lill was visiting in Minnesota. The North Dakota...

  • History of New Rockford: November 13, 2023

    K.C. Gardner Jr.|Nov 13, 2023

    On the evening of June 6, 1906, a son was born to Rev. and Mrs. F.L. Gehrs of the Emmanuel Lutheran Church. That evening, the First Annual Graduation Exercises of the Phillips Academy took place in the Opera House. There was a large audience. The hall was decorated in the class colors: white and red. The program consisted of Prof. L.J. Aldrich making a few remarks; Invocation, Rev. J.R. Beebe; Cornet Duet “My Creole Sue,” Messrs. Erickson and Comer; Oration “The Three Martyrs,” Ethel Treffry; Es...

Page Down