New Rockford Transcript - Official Newspaper of Eddy County since 1883

History of New Rockford- June 17, 2019


June 17, 2019

On the morning of June 20, 1902, a collision on the Northern Pacific Railway at Eldridge, Minn., killed 18 people. The wreck was the reason the northbound passenger train into New Rockford was six hours late. William Mattison of Freeborn and Thor Bollingberg of Wells County were in on business. Mrs. John Bollingberg went to Fargo to visit her sick sister. That evening there was a moving picture presentation, but the “Transcript” commented, “The moving picture show... is said to have been considerably on the ‘bum’order.”

On June 21, in baseball it was the New Rockford “baby nine” 12; at Carrington 5. Oscar Irwin was in from Tiffany for his “after seeding” supplies. Charles Baird came in from Faribault, Minn., where he had attended the Academy during the winter. George Lovell was in on business. A 16-lb. sledge hammer smashed two of Arthur Dinnetz’s fingers. That evening W.L. Bennett and his mother came up from Carrington to visit Mr. and Mrs. E.R. Davidson northeast of New Rockford; they went back home the next day.

On the morning and evening of Sunday, June 22, Rev. S.A. Danford of Jamestown preached in the Methodist Church. Over 300 people attended the Children’s Day Exercises at the Congregational Church; some could not find any standing room in the building. In the afternoon Miss Emma Anderson was in from southwest of town. In a practice game of baseball, it was Blues 10; Grays 6.

On June 23, Mrs. Axtle Johnson, Mrs. Guy Lathrop, and Mr. and Mrs. Went Mcgee were in shopping. Peter Berge was in on business, as were George Fields, B.W. Hersey, C.A. Parker, and John Schaefer, all of Tiffany; Schaefer stayed for the baseball game. Hiram Johnson was in from his Twist farm. Stephen Roberts, Clayton Hall and John McAvoy were in town. William Milne was down from the Sheyenne Valley on business. John Lee was in town; he had just returned from working all winter in a boiler factory in Brainerd, Minn., Mail clerk E.G. Allison visited his parents between trains. Rev. C.F. Sewrey returned from Jamestown, where he had exchanged pulpits with Rev. Danford, then he went to Bowdon to help with revival meetings. W.C. Hayes left for Fargo as a representative of the New Rockford Century Lodge, A.F. and A.M. at the Grand Lodge. That afternoon in baseball: at New Rockford 24; Ft. Totten 0, in seven innings; not an Indian reached first base. Bids were received through that date for grading county roads.

On June 23 and 24, George Setz was in on business.

From June 23 to June 26, Rev. J.B. Beebe was at a council of churches meeting in Maddock, which he reached via the Oberon branch line; churches at Esmond and Hesper [in Hesper Township, Benson County] were recognized; Sheldon Slater was ordained.

The Eddy County Commission (P.J. Braman, W.C. Schwoebel, H.P. Halverson) met on June 23 to 25.

On June 24, the Commission accepted the following bids: $84 from George O’Connor for grading the road between sections 13 and 14 and 23 and 24, T148, R65 [Pleasant Prairie]; $84, George O’Connor, road between sections 15 and 22, T148, R65; $195, R.M. Kennedy, road— Delaney and Weimals slough; $27.25, James Davidson, road-Beverly slough; $118, Ed Randolph, road between sections 15 and 16, T149, R62 [Colvin]; $95, A.T. Prouty, road— O’Brien slough; $86, A.T. Prouty, road between southeast quarter, section 9, and southwest quarter, section 10, T149, R62; $75, G.W. Johnston, road— John West slough; $74.64, John R. Winslow, road— Salem Street, New Rockford.

The following were appointed as road supervisors: M. O’Brien in place of John M. Shannon in District 3; O.H. Olson in place of Gunvaldson in District 11; Went Mcgee in place of Martin Walsh in District 17; W. Dugan in place of Theodore Doyen in District 22.

That day William Erdelbrock, Peter Butler, and Otho Lathrop were in on business, the latter from Wahpeton. Mr. and Mrs. Frederick Skidmore were in from Tiffany shopping. C.W. Gippie arrived to substitute at the NP ticket and freight office while agent W.E. Biggs was on a western trip. Will Steinweg returned from Fargo and near Casselton, where he visited his parents; his sister Margarita accompanied him and would spend several weeks visiting their sister Mrs. H.F. Rodenberg and family; Margarita returned to Casselton on July 28. That evening the Masons’ Union met above the Ose Hardware Store. “All building mechanics invited.” Washington, D.C., resident Mrs. Margaret Dye Ellis, national organizer and lecturer and Superintendent of Legislation for the National WCTU, was in New Rockford; she would visit Mrs. Frederick Skidmore for a few days and attend the Chautauqua on July 5 to 9.

On June 25, John Dodds was in on business from southeast of town, and H.E. Anderson was in from southwest of town. William Thorn, J.L. Prader and Peter Ewals came in on business, the latter from the Superior district. Mr. and Mrs. R.H. Baker came in from Tiffany. I.W. Sheldon and Jacob Adam were in New Rockford, the latter from Wells County. Mr. and Mrs. Matt Mattson were down from the Sheyenne Valley shopping. Erick Lindstrom returned from his farm west of Bowdon after planting nearly 100 acres of grain.

That evening Dr. Charles MacLachlan and Etta Patterson, daughter of Wahpeton banker and Mrs. Daniel Patterson, were married by Rev. Daniel L. Bader of the First Methodist Church of St. Paul, Minn., in the “elegant parlors” of Dr. and Mrs. W.O. Archibald at the Hotel Albion. Miss MacKenzie of Wahpeton was the maid of honor; Dr. MacDonald was the best man. A wedding supper at the Minnesota Club preceded the event.

After the event, Dr. MacLachlan had arranged for a stateroom on the Northern Pacific Coast Train. Mrs. MacLachlan got on board and went to the stateroom, which had been decorated with flowers, rice, and old shoes. Dr. MacLachlan and his new mother-in-law went to the ticket counter to buy a ticket for her to go to Wahpeton. However, the train pulled out and the two were left on the platform. To make matters worse, the telegraph was not working. Dr. MacLachlan caught a Great Northern train (it may even have been a freight) and took his mother-in-law along on the first leg of his honeymoon until they caught up with the passenger train in Fargo. [Material supplemented by an item in the January 8, 1959, “Transcript”]

The couple arrived in New Rockford on June 27 and were met at the station by the two baseball teams of the Employees’ Association (of which MacLachlan was the manager) and the Band and escorted them to a carriage and then to their residence on Stimson Avenue West. The teams presented the couple with a mantel clock.


Our Family of Publications Includes:

Powered by ROAR Online Publication Software from Lions Light Corporation
© Copyright 2019